Sunday, August 21, 2011

Volleyball Season has Begun

Volleyball season started two weeks ago.  I love volleyball season, but it totally consumes me; especially at the beginning.  The first week is tryouts.  I hate cutting kids; I feel like I am crushing their dreams.  Sometimes they cry and that makes me want to cry too.  At the same time, I am grateful that I have enough kids interested in volleyball that I can make cuts.  I would dislike to be forced to keep the kids that have bad attitudes or do not work hard just because I did not have enough kids to fill the roster.  Unfortunately I have so many kids that I have to cut good kids who are descent volleyball players. This year I had 65 kids tryout for 36 spots.  Needless to say, I am really happy that tryouts are over and we have our teams selected.  The second week of volleyball has been filled with lots of practice.  I am really excited about my team.  I think that all three of our teams will be good this year.  I have such nice girls who play and I have great coaches as well.  Natalia and Sienna have been troopers.  They come with me in the mornings to the first practice of the day.  Hector is home from work by time the second practice roles around.  We really only have one more week of two practices and then I will only have to leave the girls once Hector is home from work.  Natalia likes coming to gym much more this year than she did last year.  She thinks its funny when I make the girls run.  She just follows me around and hovers around my legs while I am coaching. 

No comments: