Saturday, October 8, 2016

Philadelphia

Our trip to Philadelphia was incredibility enjoyable.  The Temple was the highlight of the trip, but we managed to fit in lots more fun too.  The pictures are in reverse order of the way the events played out.  Part of the fun was that we had no agenda or expectation other than the Temple, so we felt relaxed and stress free both days we were there.  We had some time on Friday before the temple so we stopped by the historic sites.  We told the girls about the Liberty Bell (Natalia had already learned about it in school) and they were so excited to see it. Sienna kept saying, "I just want to see the big crack!"  We really enjoyed out historic time and the girls were really into it.  Since we didn't have a ton of time, we made plans to come back the next day.  

We got stuck in terrible traffic and it took us an hour to get to the temple even though we were only a half mile away, so our day got pushed later than we planned, but that didn't matter.  After the temple we found a great little place to eat.  It was in this old, but nice neighborhood in downtown Philly.  Just a little local hole in the wall, but it was perfect.  We were the only people eating there and we had some good food and family time.  It was late by time we made it to the hotel.  The kids think that sleeping in a hotel is really fun.  The hotel was the only down side the trip.  It was kind of dump and the only reason I picked it was because they had a free breakfast.  Hotel breakfast is just so much easier with kids when traveling.  The hot continental breakfast consisted of instant oatmeal packets that  you can add to hot water.  Really?  this does not count as breakfast.  They did have hot cocoa, so the kids were still happy.  

We spent Saturday morning at this really fun innovative park, the Smith Playground.  The girls loved it!  After that we headed to Reading Terminal Market.  We felt like herded cattle as we tried to make our way around the market, but it was totally worth it.  We got some Cajun food at a place called Beck's Cajun because how could I not eat Beck's Cajun?  There was an Amish donut counter; the donuts looked and smelled delicious.  They had over 40 varieties, but the line wrapped around several other shops.  We just had to have some of those donuts, but when you wait in line for 40 minutes, you do not just buy one donut...you get two dozen!  

The wait was definitely worth it.  We took our donuts and walked back to our car.  We parked right next to Thomas Jefferson's house that he wrote the Declaration of Independence in.  There was this great little courtyard next to the house perfect for donut eating.  We enjoyed a donut each (best donuts we have ever had) and then walked over to the historic area.

Right when we got there, we saw a guy waving and old American Flag and there was a another guy in uniform beating a drum.  The girls wanted to see what was going on so we walked over to them and the guy asked if we were there for the program?  We had no idea what he was talking about, but promptly found out that they were doing a program for kids were the kids got to pretend they were signing up for the Continental Army.  They were teaching them to march, hold a gun and then they got to be part of the Declaration Reading Ceremony at the end.  The whole program lasted about 45 minutes, was free and started right after we arrived.  Perfect!  I could not have planned a better activity.  Sienna loved it, she told me after, "I really wish I could have kept the gun."  I would not be surprised to see that kid in the military some day.  Both Sienna and Natalia were good little soldiers. Estelle deserted the Army after about 5 minutes of joining.  

After our History fun we headed back home.  Of course we ate another donut before we drove and then had another one once we got home.  Plus more donuts for breakfast in the morning.  It was a great little trip.  



Waiting to join the Army

Tomb of the unknown soldiers.  This was high on the list of things the girls wanted to see. 



Natalia marching

Sienna leading the march



I ran into two of my girls from when Hector and I ran the youth progams in the Spanish Ward.  They both have master's degrees, so I guess they...and I are not so young anymore.  It was amazing how many people we knew in Philidelpia.  At one point I was in public bathroom helping Estelle go potty and a lady asked me if I was the West Springfield Volleyball coach.  Small world.
Add caption




















Sienna and Estelle loved this old wooden barn slide.  Estelle never wanted to stop.  She cried when I finally pulled her away.  







Estelle is in a goofy photo phase.










1 comment:

leah said...

You got to see so many neat places!!! Looked like a fun trip!!